09 January 2012

Mockingjay
Book 3/50

mockingjay book cover
I am not pleased. I was with Collins up until Chapter 25 began, but then...no. Wrong. Incorrect ending. I feel like I've just watched the end of the Mrs. Peacock Clue ending, and the title cards are supposed to come up and tell us, "But this is how it really happened..."

Besides the fact that the ending feels entirely rushed and unbelievable, it's terribly unsatisfying when considering the journey we have taken with Katniss from the moment her sister's name is called in the first book. What possessed Collins to write this ending? Was she attacked by tracker jackers?

For a moment, I thought we were going to see the return of the amazing Katniss Everdeen. I had come to grips with the fact that I'd suffered through the second in the series for hope of a superior third installment. How fooled I was.

I had told my sister early in my reading of Mockingjay that I wished Collins had used the trilogy as an opportunity to tell each installment from the perspective of a different member of our favorite District 12 love triangle. The Hunger Games had been presented almost flawlessly from Katniss' point of view. Catching Fire could have been tremendous had it been seen through Peeta's eyes. And Mockingjay might have ended nicely had Gale been the leading protagonist (and the ending not felt so rushed). Instead the book tanked on page 348.

Having now finished the series, I am no longer as excited for the movie version of The Hunger Games in March. Will that stop me from seeing it? Of course not. The trailer was far too impressive to not give it a shot. But as for future movies in the series? Well, when it comes to writing the screenplay...May the odds be ever in OUR favor...

2 comments:

  1. I love the Clue reference. I stopped at Book 2 myself thinking it would go downhill. After reading your review, I suspect it was the right choice. "But this is how it really happened..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY! someone who agrees with me on Mockingjay. I gave the book away the next day- I couldn't bear to see its ugly face. And yes, always love a Clue reference. Looking forward to more of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete