07 January 2012

The Hunger Games
Book 1/50

the hunger games book cover
I will definitely be adding its sequel Catching Fire to my "to-read" list now. And the film was already on my radar for viewing after seeing the trailer. Don't be too surprised to find me comparing the film and book in March.

So...The Hunger Games.

I couldn't help but compare the it to Twilight at times. With the whole Peeta-Katniss-Gale love triangle aspect, it was difficult to not make the connection. While I did find Collins' protagonist to be far more likable than Bella Swan, the relationship between Katniss and Peeta bares an uncanny similarity to the uncomfortable nature that is Meyer's abusively unhealthy teen pairing. But I suppose this whole "star-crossed lover" genre really all started with Pyramus and Thisbe. Thanks, Ovid.

And as for the parallels drawn between the Hunger Games and reality television, scenes from Series 7: The Contenders (2001) kept popping into my head. And although I've not read Battle Royale, it's clear that this book is not presenting any groundbreaking new material for the commentary on America's questionable love affair with our society's version of the gladiator games. Will it keep thousands from watching the next season of Survivor? Probably not.

Although the book rehashes themes and devices seen time and time again, I did enjoy reading this book. It was a very fast read, as Collins provides a strong lead female from the very start. At times, I felt like Bastian from The NeverEnding Story, torn between moving on to a new chapter and taking a break to participate in "real world" activities...like eating or sleeping. I can only hope the second and third books are as equally agreeable.

That being said, I am not currently in possession of Catching Fire and must go remedy the situation. See you all again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for signing up! I just finished Catching Fire after reading Hunger Games years ago. For some reason I can't get to #3, although I'm excited as heck for the movie.

    ReplyDelete