14 January 2012

The Ghost Writer (2010)
Film 2/50

movie still with ewan mcgregor entering office with manuscript on desk

Oh, Ewan. I did so want to love this movie. But the ending was a bit ridiculous. That seems to be the theme of my 50/50 experience so far...ridiculous endings.

I'll admit that I had started out this morning hoping to watch The Edukators, but Netflix streaming was being uncooperative. Instead, I came across The Ghost Writer, a film that had piqued my interest back when it was showing in theatres (purely for the Ewan McGregor factor) but, much like many movies of the past few years, did not see when I had the chance. Having now had the chance to see it, I'm glad I passed on seeing it on the big screen.

First of all, Kim Cattrall. Who was your dialect trainer? They should be ashamed.

And then there's the breadcrumbs. Far too obvious. It was pretty clear where everything was headed all along. And while that isn't always a deal-breaker for me, this movie would have been far more interesting if the twists weren't spelled out for us...literally.

But the ending. Oh, the ending. I won't spoil it, as it is oddly redeeming and ridiculous at the same time. If you're absolutely dying to know but unwilling to spend the two hours and ten minutes to find out, I recommend you look up the plot on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

  1. I hated this movie, ESPECIALLY the ending. Funny factoid: Kim Cattrall was actually born in England. Her mother and aunts still live there. She was on that show "Who Do You Think You Are" researching her family history. She showed up at her mom's and suddenly had a British accent. It was ridiculous. -- Your old pal, Tammy R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! thanks for that factoid, tammy! i had not heard that.

    ReplyDelete