25 January 2012

The 84th Academy Awards

screen cap of the 84th academy awards oscar nominations graphic

So the 2012 Academy Award nominations were posted today (or rather yesterday, as I'm typing this as I bout insomnia). As part of my 50/50 challenge, I hope to use this list to fill out some of the 50 films I hope to view this year. However, as a "revised" goal, I'm now aiming to see as many of these before the big show on February 26th. Here's the breakdown of where I stand now (and let's just say it ain't pretty):

BEST PICTURE NOMINEES:
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse

First off, I need to get this out of my system:
Dear Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences,
Please cap your nominations at five. Any more than five is just ridiculous. Nominating more than five films feels like a "trophies for everyone" move to me.
xoxo,
Jen

So...I'm pretty much writing this as I watch MoneyballThe Tree of Life will most likely be my next film to see, as it is next in my Netflix cue. I've wanted to see The Artist and The Help for a while now. I loved the book Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and hope the movie can live up to even a small fraction of that. War Horse, The Descendants, and Hugo are all films I could live without seeing, but if the time allows, I will see. And as for Midnight in Paris...as much as I love the City of Lights, my dislike for Woody Allen pretty much cancels out any interest I might have in this one. Feel free to share your thoughts on any of these films with me. Particularly if you'd like to make a case in favor of Midnight in Paris.


ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:
Demián Bichir, A Better Life
George Clooney, The Descendants
Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt, Moneyball

Of the films represented in this category not given Best Picture nods, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the one I'm most interested in seeing. Who wants to go with? Two words...Gary Oldman.


ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Kenneth Branagh, My Week with Marilyn
Jonah Hill, Moneyball
Nick Nolte, Warrior
Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Max von Sydow, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Beginners has Christopher Plummer and Ewan McGregor...so there's that. But I could probably wait until after the Oscars to see My Week with Marilyn or Warrior. Or even Beginners for that matter...McGregor or no McGregor.


ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:
Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis, The Help
Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn

I do want to see this version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (as discussed in my review of the book and the Swedish film). And while I have mad respect for both Glenn Close and Meryl Streep, I will most likely pass on their films for the time being. And something I neglected to mention above in regards to The Help...I want to read the book before I see the film. So that may make my Feb. 26th deadline a bit unattainable for that one. But there is always February vacation...


ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Berenice Bejo, The Artist
Jessica Chastain, The Help
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer, The Help

I've actually seen Bridesmaids, believe it or not. Of the 18 different films listed so far, I've seen a whopping 2 of them! (My review of Moneyball to be posted shortly after this.) I told you it wasn't pretty.


ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
A Cat in Paris
Chico & Rita
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango

I've only seen stills from A Cat in Paris, but the style is gorgeous. I don't know when I'll find the chance to see it, but I will see it! And while I've not seen Kung Fu Panda 2, I may have to write a strongly worded letter to the Academy should that win this category. Kung Fu Panda 2? Really!? If you were desperate for a fifth nominee, why not The Adventures of Tintin?


ART DIRECTION:
The Artist
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
War Horse

Hey look! Another film I saw. Hi Harry!



So from this point in the nomination list, we repeat most of the films discussed above. So I will just quickly run down the remaining "missing" films. First...and I feel guilty about having not seen this one yet...Drive. Sorry Ryan. I still love your abs, and I promise to see this movie soon. The Ides of March. Sorry again, Ryan. And George. And I guess The Muppets is another one for my "to see" list. See any other films I'm missing other than those?

Clearly, I have some movie watchin' to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment