12 April 2012

Drive (2011)
Film 25/50

movie still with ryan gosling being all broody and sexy...in a car

Hey girl, it took you long enough to see my movie, but I still love you.
Wanna go for a long, quiet ride with me?

For a movie about a Hollywood stuntman who moonlights as a getaway driver, Drive was surprisingly slow. At least for the first fifty minutes or so.

Oh, Ryan. I did so want to love your film. You were fun to watch. But we never really got to know anything about your character. Except that he really loves his coat. And driving. And the lady down the hall with the son. But mostly the coat.

Don't get me wrong. There were certainly things I liked about this movie. But on the whole, it felt like an hour-and-a-half long music video for the song "A Real Hero". Stylistically, the film is spectacular. The acting is well done. The music is enjoyable. The story and characters are intriguing but superficial. It's hard to invest in characters who speak only 8% of the time they're on screen...if that.

But I won't complain too much. After all, I did get to look at Ryan Gosling for almost two hours. Not a shabby way to spend a rainy afternoon.

1 comment: