02 April 2012

Beginners (2010)
Film 23/50

movie still where mélanie laurent confesses she never learned how to read

It's the classic story of Boy meets Girl, Girl has laryngitis, Girl brings Boy back to hotel room where Boy tells Girl his father came out of the closet after his mother died of cancer and then died of cancer four years later leaving Boy with cute Jack Russell terrier, Girl dies in tragic blimp accident.

That is, minus the whole "Girl dies in tragic blimp accident" part.

But seriously. I enjoyed this film. At first, I thought it was going to be too slow and sad, but my attitude towards the story changed once Anna (Mélanie Laurent) came into Oliver's (Ewan McGregor) life. And solidified when Arthur (the Jack Russell terrier) started speaking in subtitles.

However, there were elements I disliked. Numero Uno being Goran Visjnic's hair. Were we seriously expected to believe he was a gay man with that hairdo? I didn't buy it. Not to mention the fact that he dresses and behaves like a 12 year old boy. I know Christopher Plummer's character admits to having trouble finding a boyfriend because of his age, but I'd like to think he could find a classier lover than Visjnic's Andy. Regardless, I did like them as a couple.

But Plummer was absolutely fabulous, as was Mary Page Keller who played Oliver's mother in various flashbacks. And McGregor is adorably sullen.

Did I mention that McGregor plays a graphic designer?

So...great cast + cute dog + melancholy soundtrack and plot = good film.
I recommend it to anyone with a heart.

1 comment: