24 April 2012

Attack the Block (2011)
Film 32/50

movie still with britain's answer to "the goonies"

Conversation with my friend Hoffmann while standing in line for The Room shortly before midnight last Saturday night...
HOFFMANN: Have you seen Attack the Block?
ME: No, what's it about?
HOFFMANN: It's about...well, I'm not going to tell you. Just watch it.
And so I did.

And I was glad he didn't give me much more than that to go on, too.

However, for those of you who'd like to learn a little more about the film prior to watching, read on. And to those of you who have seen it already, I'd be curious to hear your opinions on this film.

The story takes place in South London in a neighborhood referred to as "The Block" by its inhabitants. One evening, as fireworks burst in the sky above, five thugs mug a lady walking home. They are interrupted when a stray firework crashes into a nearby car. The woman uses the opportunity to escape while the boys investigate. What follows is a story that I will only describe as having combined elements from The Monster Squad (1987), Independence Day (1996), and 8 Mile (2002). But with a British accent.

Overall, I enjoyed this film. Although it was slightly reminiscent of other films I'd seen over the years, it certainly had an original angle. The characters are intriguing (although I was left wanting to learn more about their respective backstories). The ending had its own unique flavor, too.

As per my usual rule, I won't give too much away regarding plot details. I recommend you check it out for yourself instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment