04 March 2012

The Help (2011)
Film 16/50

movie still with octavia spencer wearing a sh*t-cooking grin

I had fully intended to read the book first, but life being what it is found me watching the film first instead. Well, if the film is even half as good as the book, then it will be well worth the read.

Perhaps I'll think differently after reading the book, but I don't have anything negative to say about this film other than to hop on the "Viola Davis was robbed" bandwagon. I haven't seen The Iron Lady, but I cannot for a moment imagine Meryl Streep topping Davis' performance by pretending to be Margaret Thatcher. Maybe if this had been 1982 and the film been Sophie's Choice, I could understand, but I should probably refrain from making a final ruling on the matter until I've seen The Iron Lady.

That being said, if you haven't watched The Help yet, what are you waiting for? And if you have, I hope you enjoyed hating on Bryce Dallas Howard as much as I did; she annoys me in real life, and now I had permission to hate her on screen too. As for Emma Stone...a delight as always. I would be curious to see her as a genuine "bad guy" for once though (for some reason she keeps getting cast as the wicked smart girl who doesn't realize she's drop dead gorgeous...go figure). And to Octavia Spencer...congrats on your Oscar! I was pretty sure that you and Jessica Chastain were going to split the votes and Melissa McCarthy would sneak in with the win, but you were without doubt the right choice.

I now have to track down a copy of The Help to read. I hope Chapter 12 is as good as the movie makes it out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment