14 March 2012

50/50 (2011)
Film 18/50

movie still where philip baker hall offers joseph gordon-levitt some medicinal brownies

I love it when a movie gives me permission to hate Bryce Dallas Howard. Particularly when seen less than two weeks after the last movie that gave me permission to hate her. Thank you, 50/50!

That being said, here's my review in a nutshell:
THINGS I LOVED ABOUT THIS MOVIE:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Adam (with or without hair), any scene involving Matt Frewer and Philip Baker Hall, Anjelica Huston and Serge Houde as Adam's parents, Anna Kendrick's awkward sea otter arm slaps, did I mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

THINGS I LOVED HATING ABOUT THIS MOVIE:
Bryce Dallas Howard and her artwork, Anjelica Huston's hair

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE:
Seth Rogan/Kyle for 83% of the movie, Adam's oncologist (but mostly Adam not looking for an oncologist with better people skills), the amount of time it took for Adam to stand up for himself to every other character in the movie
That's the basic rundown without giving away too much. I wish there were more screen time for the characters I liked best (Matt Frewer and Philip Baker Hall), as they clearly had much to offer Adam both in terms of treatment experience and general life lessons. While I did find it easy to root for Adam through the entire film (Joseph Gordon-Levitt is so adorable, you can't not root for him), his character is extraordinarily weak at the onset and transforms far too subtly. How poetic it would have been had his metaphorical backbone developed much stronger and faster (oh, so much faster) as the spinal cancer metastasized. Truly an opportunity missed.

So should you see the movie if you haven't yet? Do you love Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Then yes. Do you find Bryce Dallas Howard annoying? Then definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment