02 February 2012

Rabbit Hole (2010)
Film 9/50

movie still with nicole kidman wondering what it would take to beat natalie portman to the little gold man

There are an infinite number of ways to cope with the death of a loved one. Some might turn to gardening or cooking. Others may dabble in real estate or smoke pot before support group meetings. A few might research theoretical science and parallel universes as inspiration for the comic book they are producing. The point is...no two people grieve in the same way. And you shouldn't compare your grief with someone else's. Yes, I'm talking to you, Diane Wiest.

My apologies if I've spoiled too much for you with that intro, People-Who-Have-Not-Watched-The-Movie-Yet. Honestly, there's nothing that's been said thus far that will come as any great surprise or ruin the experience you might have in viewing Rabbit Hole. And if there is, perhaps you can try coping with your disappointment by posting about it below. I assure you, it will be cathartic.

But enough about your grief. Let's talk about mine.

I was really hoping to come out of this film, fist fiercely waving in the air, shouting about how Kidman was robbed of an Oscar by the likes of Natalie Portman. While this may not have been the case, the film was still superior to Black Swan. As was the acting. This was certainly one of Aaron Eckhart's finest performances (We'll forgive you for The Core now...but not Hilary Swank. She still needs to win a third Academy Award before she's off the hook.) And I was surprisingly impressed with Diane Wiest as well...although she will forever be the worst thing to ever happen to Law & Order, minus the passing of Jerry Orbach, in my eyes. Kidman, on the other hand, felt severely out of place in this film. Don't get me wrong...her acting was top-notch and all, but she just didn't "fit" the rest of film. There is not a genetic snowball's chance in Hell that she could ever be related to Diane Wiest or Tammy Blanchard. And don't even get me started on her hair.

The story is told well. So well, I was moved to tears at times. Mind you, they were not the gut-wrenching, uncontrollable tears that I shed at the end of Terms of Endearment...but Diane Wiest is no Shirley MacLaine. Plus, I was saddened that it wasn't among the ten (TEN!) nominations for Best Picture last year. However, I wouldn't have complained had there only been FIVE nominations. The King's Speech, Inception, The Fighter, The Social Network and Toy Story 3 all deserved nominations before Rabbit Hole...but I digress.

So Rabbit Hole. I wouldn't recommend it to someone still going through the first four stages of the grieving process. Particularly if in the "depression" phase. But even those who have reached "acceptance" may find themselves regressing. Be forewarned. And consider leaving a box of tissues near.

Well, as for my quest to find a better 2010 performance than Natalie Portman's, I guess I'll have to try Winter's Bone next. Perhaps Jennifer Lawrence was the more deserving nominee? But then again, I still haven't seen Annette Bening in The Kids Are All Right or Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine. Or am I trapped in the "denial" phase here.

No comments:

Post a Comment