12 February 2012

Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius (2004)
Film 12/50

movie still with jim caviezel getting ready to hit a crowd of people with a putter...or not

First of all, I had no intention of watching this film. But I didn't have control over the remote nor the inclination to get up and leave the room. And so Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius becomes the 12th movie in my 50/50 challenge.

This movie does have two factors that made it bearable for me to watch. Jim Caviezel and Jeremy Northam. And yet, putting them into a golf movie...not my dream come true. And Jeremy Northam as a smarmy, boozed-up golfer...completely not my dream come true.

I'm not going to spend a ton of time dissecting this film, as golf films in general have never been my cup of tea. But I will share my favorite moment that didn't involve ogling Caviezel or Northam and their respective golf swings. Enter Malcolm McDowell's fist in response to some professional golfer's disdain for Bobby Jones' refusal to leave amateur ranks. McDowell's delivery of fist and his accompanying pearls of wisdom were completely out of character yet highly enjoyable. And made me wish society held amateur athletes in greater esteem than their professionally-paid counterparts.

So there's that. My first (and I'm hoping only) golf movie of 2012. And I didn't fall asleep during it...so there's that, too.

2 comments:

  1. did joey make you watch this one? this reeks of joey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think "make" is the right word...but yes, he was the one with the remote.

    ReplyDelete