20 August 2012

21 Jump Street (2012)
Film 55/50

best use of doves in a film since tim burton's "mars attacks"

Confession: I have never watched a single episode of the television series 21 Jump Street. Having now seen the film, I'm pretty sure that isn't a pre-requisite, as I'm fairly confident that I was able to "get" all the important cameos/references included. Feel free to argue otherwise, Jump Street fans.

Another confession: I initially vowed to never see this film as I was convinced that there was no way in hell that the filmmakers would have been able to convince Johnny Depp to do a cameo for it. As it turns out, they somehow pulled that off. And so here I am. Watching the movie I had once refused to see.

That being said, this movie calls for a list of favorite/least favorite moments rather than a full autopsy. Let us begin.
FAVORITE MOMENTS/ELEMENTS FROM THIS MOVIE:
The prom doves, Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise (but mostly Johnny Depp), Mini James Franco, photo of a naked, eight year old Fred Savage wearing only friendship bracelets, Channing Tatum dressed as potassium nitrate, Jonah Hill auditioning for Peter Pan and running relay, the Peter Pan understudy, the pre-prom lawn mowing sequence, Ellie Kemper as Ms. Griggs (regardless of how unrealistic her role was), Eric's love of Taco Bell and friendship bracelets, and did I mention Johnny Depp?

LEAST FAVORITE MOMENTS/ELEMENTS:
The oh-so "realistic" portrayal of high school students and undercover cops and teaching staff and highway traffic, the fact that Miranda rights aren't meant to be memorized but rather read to the arrested (hence the phrase "read them their rights"), not to mention the fact that Schmidt and Jenko still have jobs at the conclusion after everything that had transpired in the previous two hours.
That about sums it up. Feel free to argue any likable/unlikable moments I might have overlooked. As for the sequel, I'll probably pass on it...unless they miraculously figure out a way to get Johnny Depp into that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment