02 December 2012

A Shocker on Shock Street
Book 14/50

spoiler alert: they never get to meet shockro. sorry.
First of all, a disclaimer: I've been neglectful in my reading for this challenge, and as such, am forced to take drastic measures to catch up. Since I need to read a book a day for the rest of the year, I have opted to take my sister's recommendation to read Goosebumps. So be warned. The next few weeks may find you reading some whacked out reviews of young adult books that I somehow managed to miss back in the day. This will either become the inspiration for me to go out and get a PhD in Teen Lit or lead to me shaking uncontrollably while sitting in a padded room. Either way, this should be interesting to play out. No?

Only time will tell. On to Goosebumps #35: A Shocker on Shock Street...and may God have mercy on our souls.

So it's been a while since I've enjoyed a good R.L. Stine masterpiece. I had forgotten how simultaneously ridiculous and genius his books are.

This one is no exception.

As I began reading (now from an entirely different perspective than I had as a youngster), I kept trying to figure out what the twist would be at the end. My guess: the father had discovered his daughter was not his biological offspring, and as a twisted theme-park designer/cult member, opted to sacrifice this false child (and her friend...because why not) as a way of seeking revenge against his adulterous wife. I still maintain that would have been a fantastic ending.

This definitely isn't a book I'd read over and over again (the way I feel about Judith Guest's Ordinary People), but I'd definitely recommend you check it out if you're an 8 year old or just someone who loved the Goosebumps series and somehow neglected to read this one. If you're Maya Angelou (because I know you read my blog, Maya), I'd say it's okay to pass on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment