01 June 2014

Sunshine (2007)
Film 19?/20

still from "sunshine" where cillian murphy's cheekbones save the world
So I had never heard of this film until just recently when I was prompted to do a Google search for the score used in one of the X-Men: Days of Future Past movie trailers. Because that's a thing I do. Don't you?

Anywhoo...a quick search led me to John Murphy's score to Sunshine (I had already recognized the second piece from Hans Zimmer's score from The Thin Red Line...because again, that's a thing I do) which got me thinking...Hey, I've never heard of this movie called Sunshine. This in turn led me to do a quick search on IMDB.com...because thank you, Internet. Once I saw that it starred Cillian Murphy's cheekbones and Chris Evans' abs, I immediately added it to my Netflix queue. And the rest is history.

It also didn't hurt that the IMDB.com film summary reads: "A team of international astronauts are sent on a dangerous mission to reignite the dying Sun with a nuclear fission bomb in 2057." After all, I do love me a good End-of-the-World sci-fi flick. Especially if it's bad.

Unfortunately, this movie was a bit more Solaris than Deep Impact for my liking. Don't get me wrong, Solaris fans. I recognize that in terms of filmmaking Solaris is truly a superior film than Deep Impact. It's just that I wanted it to be one of those go-to-movies that I would want to watch again and again. You know...like The Day After Tomorrow and Deep Blue Sea.

Does that make any sense at all?

Probably not. But what can I say. I'm a sucker for bad sci-fi and sweet, sweet cheekbones. And this wasn't bad sci-fi. It was drama. And sort of horror/slasher film towards the end. That was weird.

But it has a pretty score. And that's all that matters in the end, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment