12 January 2014

Perks and Penguins
Films 1/50 and 2/50

perks of being a wallflower
Film 1/50: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)
This movie should have been nominated instead of Les Misérables for best picture. That's not to say that it should have won, necessarily, but it was a far better production than Les Misérables.

There. I said it.

Hermione Granger was good. Percy Jackson was better. Ezra Miller was phenomenal. A combination of fabulous performances plus a sad but interesting story, Perks was a solid film. I haven't read the novel, but it's certainly being added to my "to read" list now.

penguin pool murder
Film 2/50: Penguin Pool Murder (1932)
With a title like that, you would stop and watch a few minutes, too. Right?

I didn't think it (especially after the first few moments gave off the impression that this would be an amazingly boring film), but this movie was hysterical to watch. A hijinx-filled romp around an aquarium. The characters are absurd. The plot even more so. But every moment is worth the laughs. And there are many.

Billed as a comedy/mystery, the Penguin Pool Murder delivers on both. Whether the laughs I had at its expense were intended on the part of the filmmakers, that is debatable. But if I ever see it's on again or for sale on DVD, I'll be sure to watch it again. I suggest you give it a shot, too.

And never trust a penguin-enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment