09 September 2012

War Horse (2011)
Film 60/50

benedict cumberbatch doing his best to fight kaiser bill

Rule #1: Don't try to beat Kaiser Bill with swords. Especially if his guys have some serious artillery. Even if you ARE Benedict Cumberbatch.

So now I've seen all of the Best Film nominees from last year. Well, all but one (Midnight in Paris...I'm still debating whether or not I'll see you). Once again, I feel that the Academy chose wisely when it didn't pick you to take home the little golden man. While Spielberg certainly knows how to pull the heartstrings of his viewers, this film just didn't have the same power as found in some of his other war films. And while I wasn't expecting him to pull off another Schindler's List, I was hoping for a bit character development...at least from the human stars.

I'm going to cut this review short (perhaps I'll return to it later when I've got less to do for school), but please know there were some aspects of this film that I loved. The horses were beautiful, the story was sweet, and the cinematography was gorgeous. I simply felt we were introduced to too many characters and didn't have enough time to connect with most of them.

But enough about horses. I've got homework to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment