28 June 2012

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
Film 43/50

movie still where sawyer tries to escape from freckles the assassin

It's a Mission: Impossible movie. And as much as I don't want to watch a Tom Cruise film, I can't say no to the likes of J.J. Abrams, Brad Bird, Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg, Josh Halloway, and the return of Cold War politics.

Unfortunately, I found it lacking. Sure, it had all the fun gadgets (particularly enjoyed the hallway screen scene and the facial recognition contact lens), but it was missing the super-psycho bad guy that we had with Philip Seymour Hoffman in the third installment. Don't get me wrong. Michael Nyqvist was far more impressive in this film than I found him in the Dragon Tattoo series. But he just wasn't as deliciously scary. And after enjoying Hoffman's performance in M:i:III, this was a bit of a let down.

So I won't be giving you the play-by-play breakdown of this one. The style and action sequences are successful, but the story and character motivation are just eh. If you liked the first three, I say go for it. But if you're hoping for something better than the third film, I recommend you look for something else to watch.

Or perhaps you could read a book. The Psychopath Test was quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment