24 May 2012

Devil (2010)
Film 34/50

movie still with chris messina getting his walkie-talkie on

I know I should be working on my thesis project, but I saw this was on the other night and needed a break desperately. And so, Devil becomes Film #34.

First of all, I love Chris Messina. Have ever since seeing him star as Claire Fisher's boyfriend in the last few episodes of Six Feet Under. That combined with strangers killing each other off in a haunted elevator was enough to "force" me away from my thesis for eighty minutes.

But then there's the fact that M. Night Shayamalan wrote the story. Now, had this been the year 2000, that fact alone would have me sitting in a movie theatre to see this film. But I've seen Lady in the Water (2006). And don't even get me started on The Happening (2008). And so I watched it from the comfort of my living room sofa instead. There are no regrets there.

Because M. Night is attached, you know there's going to be some sort of twist or two. And because M. Night essentially uses the same twists over and over, there are no big surprises in the end. I'll try not to spoil anything, but I can promise you there are no killer trees in this film.

Since I do have school work to do, I'm going to keep this review brief (although those of you who have read some of my previous film reviews know that I prefer to write much lengthier/spoil-ridden reviews for films like this...a.k.a. films that are not particularly good).

To sum up quickly, this movie is 17% Speed, 12% Constantine, 47% And Then There Were None, and 24% Signs.

Do as you will with that information.

No comments:

Post a Comment